Published by Major Group, July 31, 2023
Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan
The terms of the public drug insurance plan administered by the Public Prescription Drug Insurance Plan (RAMQ) are revised annually on July 1. All members of the public drug insurance plan must comply with the various changes issued by RAMQ.
As of July 1, 2023, the contributions of insureds enrolled in Quebec’s public prescription drug insurance plan will be modified as follows:
July 1, 2022
(based on net family income)
|From $0 to $710||From $0 to $731|
Contribution to be paid when purchasing medication
|$22.25 per month|
$267.00 per year
|$22.90 per month|
$274.80 per year
|Coinsurance payable||35 %||33 %|
|Maximum monthly contribution|
Maximum annual contribution
|$96.74 per month|
$1,161 per year
|$99.65 per month|
$1,196 per year
Deductible and co-insurance
• Deductible: fixed amount to be paid on your first purchases of the month;
• Coinsurance: percentage of covered drug costs to be paid.
Each month, the insured person covered by RAMQ pays a portion of the cost of covered drugs until a maximum contribution is reached. Once this contribution is reached, the drugs are then paid for at 100%.
In general, out-of-pocket drug expenses include :
• A deductible;
• A co-insurance portion: the amount not covered by RAMQ.
By offering your employees a comprehensive group plan, you are providing them with a much more generous and extensive insurance package.
The first thing to remember is that RAMQ insurance covers drugs only. Nothing more. Group health insurance not only covers drugs, but also :
• Health professional services (psychologist sessions, massage therapy, physiotherapy, etc.)
• Eye exams, glasses and contact lenses
• Travel insurance and cancellation
• Laboratory tests
• Various medical supplies (orthopedic shoes, prostheses, etc.)
Comparison table RAMQ vs. Group Plan (health)
Group plan (health)
|Complementary medical expenses||Not covered||Covered|
|Travel insurance||Not covered||Covered|
|Annual premium (employee portion)||0 to $7311||From $450 to $1,800 2|
|Annual deductible||$274.80||From $0 to $200 3|
|Coinsurance payable||33 %||From 0% to 30% 4|
|Maximum annual contribution||1,196 per year||1,196 per year 5|
1 Based on net family income
2 Based on plan expenses and employer contribution
3 Based on client’s choice
4 According to customer’s choice
5 Maximum annual RAMQ contribution applies
Questions or comments?
If you have any questions or comments, please contact our service team. We’re here to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Régie de l’assurance maladie (2023, juillet). « Rates in effect », Web site of the RAMQ, Prescription Drug Insurance. Récupéré de Rates in effect | Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) (gouv.qc.ca)
This text was written by Aryane Czyborra Chapados, Consulting Coordinator and Group Insurance Advisor at Major Group. With over 8 years’ experience in group insurance, Aryane has unrivalled expertise and in-depth knowledge of the sector.